Beverly Wilshire Hotel

Feeling the need to grab some grub after wandering the domain of the rich and famous, I walked around the neighborhood trying to decide where to have lunch. Choosing the Beverly Wilshire Hotel -- where Richard Gere and Julia Roberts first met in Pretty Woman -- I went inside and was directed to a table against the wall but near the window. While I waited for my order, I got a kick out of people-watching in an unfamiliar environment, trying to guess who was really wealthy or just working-class.

My meal consisted of a small glass of cranberry juice, an overpriced Caesar salad, and a lobster roll sandwich equivalent to the size of a White Castle hamburger. I tried not to dwell on the cost because I wasn't just paying for the food ... but for the privilege of dining in opulence. (The restaurant was designed like an upscale loft: large tables, comfy chairs, and attentive service.) After spending nearly $60, tip included, I was looking forward to what tomorrow had in store for me.