Crash


If getting an undeserved parking ticket was bad luck, being in a car accident was a nightmare. It was still daylight, I noticed traffic ahead of me, and I saw the red light ... but, for reasons that defy logic, my reaction time wasn't fast enough to avoid a collision. As a result, my rental car ended up with a smashed grill, damaged hood, and broken headlight -- while the other vehicle had a damaged trunk and broken taillight.

I exchanged license and insurance information with the other motorist, and I called Thrifty immediately to report what happened. The customer service representative told me to contact the police and file a report, which I did. He also said I shouldn't be too upset over what happened because I bought insurance, which should pay for the damages. (He also said it's not like I hit a human being; after all, cars are easier to fix than people. That may be true ... but it didn't make me feel any better.) Afterward, I called my parents and told them about my trip ending on a horrible note.