Getty Villa


I dabbled in some highbrow culture and visited the Getty Villa on Friday morning. The estate, which belonged to J. Paul Getty, is now a museum that's open to the public for free.

Among the artwork on display at this seaside property was "Victorious Youth." I attended a 20-minute lecture that focused on the Greek bronze sculpture, introducing viewers to the civilization of that era. Afterward, I joined the architecture and gardens tour, spending 45 minutes learning about the facility's historical prototypes. When that was over, I went on a 45-minute orientation tour that explored its growth (it opened in 1954 at the ranch house, which now operates as a research library), mission (to promote the arts and cultures of ancient Greece, Rome, and Etruria) and renovation (Getty wanted it to resemble the Villa dei Papiri).

I took a break from my pursuit of knowledge to eat at the café and observe my surroundings. I found it mind-boggling that one person -- or even a family -- would need so much space for a home. In addition to the area that housed the art collection, the villa also had an outdoor theater, office building, and a training laboratory. It's an ideal setting for work and play, and I imagine that's what Getty had in mind when he bought the property. (Even though he spent the last 25 years of his life in Britain, his final resting place is at the villa.)

My last tour of the day was through the special exhibition The Colors of Clay: Special Techniques in Athenian Vases. The guide spent an hour discussing how potters and painters moved beyond red- and black-figure drawings to create unique masterpieces. Even though I failed art history as an undergraduate student at New York University, one doesn't have to be a genius to appreciate the skill that goes into making these objects.