Shangri-La


My time in the City of Angels wouldn't be complete without seeing the Hollywood sign, which was my first destination on Tuesday morning.

I hit Interstate 405 with the hope of avoiding the horrendous traffic that has made this thoroughfare legendary for all the wrong reasons. (As it turned out, the highways weren't as bad as some people told me it would be -- it would be the side streets that give me grief!) I drove north until I reached the 101 Freeway, at which point I headed east. Once I turned off Lake Hollywood Drive and started trying to get to the top of the hill, that's when the real adventure started.

The more I saw the nine block letters forming the sign, the more anxious I got because I knew I was almost there. However, the road's twists and turns forced me to ask for directions on several occasions. Conscious about the price I'd paid for gas, I was starting to panic about the time and money being wasted trying to find Shangri-La. Then, before I knew it, I spotted the dog park and realized that, like thousands of dreamers before me, I'd finally made it to H-O-L-L-Y-W-O-O-D.