Black and White


Growing up, the only holiday I observed in February was Presidents' Day. This year, I joined thousands of people in celebrating Fat Tuesday.

Unlike most parades, Zulu and Rex hit the streets early in the morning. I must have been in the mood for exercise because I walked all the way to the Interstate 90 underpass without collapsing. To avoid the harsh rays of the gleaming sun, I grabbed a spot along the curb and waited for the show to start. Zulu reached out to luminaries in politics, sports, and movies for help in "Leading the Way Back Home." Ray Nagin made his appearance on horseback, while Spike Lee marched with members who wore blackface and grass skirts. As characters like Big Shot and Witch Doctor passed by on their floats, I saw Deuce McAllister and yelled for a coconut. Luck wasn't on my side, for he tossed one in my direction ... but it landed on the ground and was crushed by a tire.

On a happier note, Rex charmed the masses with "Beaux Arts and Letters." Floats honoring literary classics like A Streetcar Named Desire and Bayou Folk proceeded downtown as the monarch of merriment and his underlings showered outstretched hands with plenty of souvenirs. Among the items I caught was a gold, green, and purple wristband that said "Rex Helps Renew NOLA 8/29." (This page explains the meaning behind these colors and their association with Mardi Gras.) The inscription's sense of purpose stayed with me as I watched the parade draw to a close.