Hollywood Meets Canal Street


Bacchus and Endymion took to the streets on Sunday night to march in their parades. These processions offered twice the fun because I could catch more goodies and see some celebrities. Michael Keaton and Willie Nelson served as grand marshals, waving to fans and throwing trinkets as they led Bacchus down "The Yellow Brick Road." Later, Dan Aykroyd and Jim Belushi did the same for Endymion as they embarked on "Legends and the Lure of Gold."

These themes inspired natives and tourists alike to party until midnight, at which point people migrated to Bourbon Street to continue living it up. I followed suit, indulging in Hurricanes and Hand Grenades while mingling with other revelers. I even spotted a group of Deaf people and communicated with them in American Sign Language. (I have an interest in the subject and started taking classes in 2005.) I may be a novice when it comes to ASL, but I'm an expert at socializing.