Mulate's


To soothe the hunger pains in my stomach, I made my way to Mulate's and had a late lunch. I ordered grilled alligator, blackened, with a cup of zydeco gumbo (a roux-based soup with shrimp, smoked sausage, chicken, and okra served with white rice) and two glasses of Twisted Cosmopolitan (Smirnoff Orange Twist, Cointreau, cranberry juice, and a splash of lime juice).

I was told beforehand that alligator tastes like chicken ... but I can't think of an appropriate word to describe this culinary experience. Eating a reptile didn't gross me out as much as I thought it would; in fact, it was no different from eating chitterlings. As for the gumbo, it tasted good but was nothing to write home about -- except it's a heart attack waiting to happen. But the drinks were a delicious way to complete my meal.