Berkeley

Alice Cooper once sang about a world without school ... but that didn't stop me from going to Berkeley on Saturday morning. The university was hosting a football game against UCLA as part of homecoming week, and I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to hop on the BART train and check out the campus.

The first thing I noticed about Berkeley is that it's a typical college town, with dozens of buildings spread out over hundreds of acres. (Direction-challenged folks may find these maps useful.) Students, faculty, alumni, and guests congregated along the Crescent as I strolled the grounds. I had no idea where I was going, so I followed the crowd, passing several halls and libraries before reaching the Campanile.

Being surrounded by a sea of blue and gold made me nervous about being exposed as a "trespasser." Even though I had no ties to the school and no legitimate explanation for my presence, exploring the renowned academic institution was a fun way to pass the time. After walking around for a few more minutes, I retraced my steps to leave the premises.