Scoma's

Spending hours surrounded by water gave me a craving for seafood, and word of mouth brought me to Scoma's on Thursday night. Based on the menu near the entrance, I sensed it was an upscale restaurant ... and when I walked through its doors, I quickly discovered why: it caters to everyday folks as well as famous clientele.

The walls were decorated with pictures of its owner, Al Scoma, posing with luminaries from the worlds of entertainment and sports. This made for an ironic sight as I eavesdropped on the waiter telling a couple sitting near me that he once served Jennifer Aniston and Brad Pitt. He said they tried to blend in, despite being recognized, and were gracious customers. When pressed for more information, he stated that most celebrities he encountered while on the job were nice people.

I munched on popcorn shrimp, a fried combo plate (prawns, sea scallops, and sole), a lemon tart, and a glass of 7-Up soda. The combination of good food and prompt service made for a wonderful dining experience; my only regret is that I didn't sit by the window for a view of the pier -- even though there wasn't much to see, since it was dark outside.