Introduction

In all my years of traveling, I'd never been to California -- except when I had flight layovers en route to other destinations. Los Angeles wasn't high on my list of dream vacation destinations, and I wasn't sold on San Diego. That only left me with one option: San Francisco.
I was drawn to the Bay Area city for many reasons, from checking out its historical landmarks to learning about its roots in social activism. (Given what's at stake in the presidential election between George W. Bush and John Kerry, I should've taken a detour to Washington, D.C., instead.) I could also see myself working here if the opportunity presented itself, for it sounded like a fascinating place to call home.
While San Francisco isn't immune from a high cost of living and widespread homelessness, I didn't let those conditions stop me from experiencing all that it had to offer ... but nothing could prepare me for the uphill battle of getting around by foot.