Introduction

I never had any interest in visiting Los Angeles until 2006, when I decided to audition for The Price Is Right. One of the goals I set for myself when I turned 30 was to appear on a TV game show. I previously tried out for Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?, but failed to make the cut. I was hoping for better luck on the West Coast, so I built my vacation around this idea and planned other activities around it.

In talking with various co-workers who either had roots in the area or traveled there before, I was strongly advised to rent a car. Even though I've never had a bad experience doing this, I was wary about navigating my way around this urban sprawl in a vehicle. By the time my trip was over, my hesitation would be justified, for I'd be cursed by a heat wave, high gas prices, and endless parking fees.