Summary

Despite the negative perceptions surrounding New Orleans, I never felt unsafe while I was there. The locals were nice, the cuisine was delicious, and Mardi Gras was fun. The krewes did an excellent job of using the event to pay homage to the past and look to the future. I'd love to revisit the city someday, provided more businesses and tourist attractions reopen.

On that note, I returned to New York with more beads, cups, doubloons, and stuffed animals than I knew what to do with ... and ended up giving a lot of it away to co-workers and family members. (I even sold some items on eBay and Coin Trading Post, but hardly enough to quit my day job.)

Even though the rebuilding process has been plagued by an endless stream of financial and political red tape, I believe the people of New Orleans will draw on their generous spirit to rise above the obstacles and reclaim their status as a cultural mecca that deserves our support.