The Price Is Right (Part Three)

As it turned out, this procedure consisted mostly of sitting on uncomfortable benches for hours at a time and making small talk with my fellow would-be contestants. We came from all walks of life: young, old, tall, short, fat, skinny, Black, White, Latino, you name it. People that stood out included a bunch of Barbie doll collectors, a religious youth group, and an extended family from Texas.

A producer gathered contestants in groups of fifteen and made us stand in line. One by one, he asked the same three questions: what's your name, where are you from, and what do you do for a living. When it was my turn to speak, I remembered the elderly couple's advice and gave him an enthusiastic response. We were then directed to the security clearance area, where we turned in our cell phones and were frisked before sitting around yet again until it was time to enter the studio at 2 p.m.

I was surprised to discover the facility looked bigger on television than it did in person. I was seated on the far right-hand side, a few rows away from the stage. The announcer, Rich Fields, went over the rules and made small talk with the audience before host Bob Barker came out to greet the crowd. Once the cameras started rolling, I patiently waited for my name to be called to "come on down" and play The Price Is Right.

After the taping was over, I found myself 0-for-2 in game show auditions. Nevertheless, I was happy for those who did make it to contestants' row -- especially Lisa, the showcase winner who walked away with more than $33,000 in prizes, including a trip to Florence, Italy, a Sea-Doo Challenger 17' ski boat, a Holland Tradition LS grill, and a pair of Schwinn Currie S750 electric scooters.