The Price Is Right (Part Two)


I arrived at Fairfax Avenue and Beverly Boulevard around 3:30 a.m. for taping of the episode that would air on October 17. While I wasn't surprised by the number of people who turned out for their shot at fame, I was frustrated by the difficulty of securing a parking spot. After I achieved that goal at the Grove Shopping Center, I walked down the cavernous space, through the shopping area, and past some buses to take my place in line.

As the Blessed King -- a bagel shop and bakery across the street from the studio -- was preparing to open its doors, an employee offered to rent plastic chairs to contestants at a rate of two for five dollars. Even though I was too cheap to accept his offer -- I wasn't part of a couple or group -- my gut told me it was going to be a long day. More important, though, it told me it was hungry -- so I bought an apple strudel.

I was sandwiched between a pair of best friends, who were in front of me, and an elderly couple who stood behind me. The couple told me they tried out for the show before, but didn't make it to contestants' row. I inquired about their experience, and they told me what I already knew: hold on to your order of arrival pass (and priority number), be on time, and act like you're happy to be there.

After taking turns between standing and crouching, a CBS employee began handing out order of arrival passes at 6 a.m. When I received mine, I was told to report to the audience waiting area by 7:30 a.m. -- even though my admission ticket said 8 a.m. (An explanation for the discrepancy was never given.) I grabbed a quick nap in my car before heading back to the studio to exchange my order of arrival pass for a priority number. At that point, I was given a green card with the show's name and the number 193 on it. Another CBS worker told me to return again at 10 a.m., when the audition process would finally get started.