Chez Nous


After last year's storm, I expected chaos to greet me at Louis Armstrong Airport when my plane landed on Thursday afternoon. Instead, I was welcomed by an eerie silence. Like my fellow travelers, I wasn't sure what to expect during the next seven days ... but, as always, I was game for an adventure.

Unlike previous vacations, I stayed at a bed and breakfast called Chez Nous because most of the hotels were occupied by relief workers and municipal employees. (There were no reputable hostels near the French Quarter.) I called my hostess, Donna, to let her know I was in town, and she said she looked forward to meeting me.

I boarded a shuttle bus for what should've been a half-hour ride into the city. Instead, multiple drop-offs and traffic jams extended my trip to nearly two hours ... but I didn't mind the delay. The driver showed passengers the floodwater lines on Interstate 10 and pointed out spray-painted signs on its overpass. She also shared her survival story and told us she was living with a co-worker because she'd yet to receive a FEMA trailer.

In spite of the thoughts of Katrina preoccupying my mind, I was ecstatic to arrive at the 19th-century Creole cottage in Faubourg Marigny. Donna and I exchanged pleasantries, and she gave me a tour of the suite where I'd be staying -- two bedrooms, a living room, a kitchen, a bathroom, and a laundry room. Its traditional architecture and modern amenities made for hospitable accommodations; the only drawback was the place was more suited for couples or families than a solo traveler.