A Day at the Museum (Part One)

One of the qualities I look for in visiting a city is a vibrant arts scene. I found that at the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art on Thursday morning.

After studying its architecture, I picked up a directory and went to the fifth floor to check out New Work: Evan Holloway and Dave Muller. Through my eyes, Holloway's "Map" sculpture and Muller's "Sprawling" drawing installation were metaphors for the urban world, where diversity and individualism converge to form a collective identity amid the ebb and flow of life. Later, I walked over to Between Art and Life: The Contemporary Painting and Sculpture Collection, which focused on works created after 1960. Robert Rauschenberg and Cindy Sherman were among the artists highlighted in the show.

One floor below was the William Eggleston: Los Alamos exhibit. I've always liked photography as an artistic medium because, as revealed in his series of pictures, it captures the beauty of simplicity. The media galleries nearby housed Double Feature: Mary Lucier and Gordon Matta-Clark. I looked at her video installation and watched his short films for about ten minutes before proceeding downstairs.