Japanese Tea Garden


Even though I don't think of myself as an outdoorswoman, show me a park and I'll find an activity to do there. That line of reasoning brought me to Golden Gate Park on Wednesday morning.

Asian culture plays a prominent role in the city, so it only makes sense that one of the park's most famous landmarks is the Japanese Tea Garden. I could've spent hours exploring more than 1,000 acres of open space and still not see everything the park has to offer. In addition to the garden is a horse stable, golf course, two windmills, nine lakes, and many fields for various sports.

One of the tourist attractions I passed was the National AIDS Memorial Grove, where I took a few minutes to reflect on the disease and the millions of people who died from it before reaching my destination. At that point, I stood at the Main Gate to admire the view before paying $3.50 to enter the tranquil landscape.

The setting put me in the mood for meditation, and I strolled around the garden until I found myself at Drum Bridge. Other worthwhile sights included the Pagoda, Buddha, Hagiwara Gate, and Tea House, where I bought a cup of their namesake drink before heading for greener pastures.