Golden Gate Bridge (Part One)


I was indecisive about what I wanted to do on Monday morning, so I tried to cram as much as I could into 24 hours -- even though I was in town for another six days. (Go figure.) I headed to Powell Street to catch the Powell/Hyde cable car to Fisherman's Wharf, where I did some window shopping and took in beautiful views of the bay. At that point, it dawned on me that I should rent a bike and ride it across the Golden Gate Bridge.

As luck would have it, I found myself in front of Blazing Saddles at Pier 41. They offered reasonable rates for their bikes, and I was prepared to rent one when I realized I left my credit card at the hostel. The cashier said I had to leave a deposit of $150, which I did before riding off toward the iconic overpass. (I'm not sure why I was carrying that much cash on me, but I made sure I returned the bike in one piece.)