Golden Gate Bridge (Part Two)


I maneuvered my way along Jefferson Street until I reached Aquatic Park, where I observed birds lining the shore before reaching the slope near Fort Mason. Channeling my inner Lance Armstrong, I navigated the incline and breezed through the park to Marina Green. I paced myself as I got closer to the bridge, for I wanted to relish this once-in-a-lifetime experience.

The fertile grass seemed to stretch for miles as I approached Crissy Field, and I enjoyed being surrounded by so much nature within the confines of a metropolis. I got off my bike to walk on the beach and watch the day go by. After taking in the scenery, I continued on to the visitor's center ... and when I arrived there, I was psyched about riding on the bridge.

I joined dozens of bikers, joggers, and walkers on the east sidewalk heading north to Marin County. A cool breeze settled over the area as sapphire water flowed underneath the bridge and bustling traffic lined its lanes. Alcatraz Island and Angel Island State Park sat to the east, while the Pacific Ocean lied to the west. When I reached the county border, I reversed course and started riding back to my starting point.

The amount of fun I was having couldn't hide the fact that I was tired. When I got to the visitor's center, I "cheated" and took the 28 bus back to Fort Mason. After biking the rest of my way back to Blazing Saddles, I only had one thing on my mind: food.